PURPOSE OF THE CLUB
The Rough Riders were formed to commemorate the memory and values of Theodore "Teddy Roosevelt" and his famous regiment "The Rough Riders" through civic actions, patriotic activities, public service and fellowship events. Historically, The Rough Riders were an important part of America’s and Tampa's contribution to the Spanish American War in 1898. Today they contribute to a wide variety of charitable and civic events.
FACTS ABOUT THE CLUB
- Founded in 1978 by Charlie Spicola in Tampa, Florida
- Current membership: over 560 members
- Current President: Billy Hogan
- Club Logo: Crossed Sabers Cavalry Symbol with number 1 & USV (First Regiment, United States Volunteers)
HISTORICAL & PATRIOTIC ACTIVITIES
- Honor Guard/Rifle Squad, presents U.S. Flag, fires salutes at dedications & civic events
- Historic monument restoration and preservation
- Speakers Bureau on Theodore Roosevelt, Spanish American War, Rough Riders
- Rough Riders Museum at clubhouse holds historic artifacts
- Restores Spanish American War monuments and cemeteries
COMMUNITY SERVICE ACTIVITIES: 501.c.3. Tax Exempt organization
- Teddy Bear Runs: Thousands of Teddy Bears collected and distributed annually to hospitals, children's and seniors programs.
- Special Olympics: we help run and support Olympic Track and Field, and Bowling for the Special Olympics.
- Roosevelt Elementary, support academic awards assemblies and Father’s club
- Multi-level academic scholarship awards program
- Parade Floats: The T.R. double decker float and Old No. 58, turn of the century train with its Coal Car, have won numerous awards throughout Florida. Our other floats include a replica Trolley or Street Car, a Float modeled after the ship that transported the Rough Riders to Cuba, the SS Yucatan, and our latest creation, a double-decked float named after Teddy's horse "Little Texas".
- 14 parades annually, beads distributed per year: over $250.000.00 throughout U.S.
- Tampa's annual St. Patrick’s Parade hosted by Rough Riders
Contact information: Billy Hogan, 727-641-4124, email@example.com